The scholarship was established by Sherry Chavers, who, for 38 years, taught elementary school in Anacortes, sharing her passion for all things art. A recipient of the Brodniak Award, she continues to share her love of the arts and both the written and spoken word. As an arts advocate, Chavers sees great worth in students sharing their own art and voice with authentic audiences. Chavers, now a volunteer in the schools, works with all grade levels, helping students in drama, writing, poetry and visual art. She establishes this scholarship to assist a student who has demonstrated a passion for, talent and interest in, or commitment to some aspect of the “Arts”.
- Anacortes High School graduating senior, not limited by gender
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Preference given to a student who has demonstrated a passion for, talent and interest in, or commitment to some aspect of the “Arts”
- “Arts” to include Literary Arts (writing in any genre for different purposes, reading, speaking), Drama, the Visual Arts in all of its manifestations, Music, Dance, Graphic Arts (not STEM, but rather seen through a creative lens), filmmaking and broadcasting
- May also be awarded to a student who hopes to teach in an area of the “Arts” as described above
- Demonstrated financial need – but, at the discretion of the ASF Scholarship Committee, with consideration for extraordinary, unusual or difficult circumstances
- Not limited to students going on to four-year institutions, but can also be applied to community colleges or appropriate specialized schools